Thursday, March 19, 2009

Just dance, gonna be okay ... da da doo doo mmm ... Just dance

(Not much to work with this week, but I hope this will do the trick!)

It was at the ripe ol' age of two that I performed in my first dance recital. Well, at least that was the idea ...

The story has been told many times throughout my life and there's video to prove it. After watching my big sister's dance class so many times, I started standing in the back while doing every single step right along with the 'big girls.'

Apparently, it was cute enough to land me an official costume and a front row spot in the dance recital.

FAIL.

I definitely sat on my little white prop box on stage, sucking my finger, while looking at my mom who was standing off stage. How many dance steps did I attempt? Zero. That's right. Complete fail except for the fact that it garnered quite a few laughs from the audience.

Fortunately, I didn't give up on dance at that point and ever since then, I have actually been quite fond of both stage performance and especially - dancing.

It's been one of those weeks - some stress mixed with busyness, with a little frustration on the side. It's during these times that I know that I was born to dance. It is my outlet. My release.

It's also why music tends to have such a huge impact and emotional pull on me. During stressful times, I turn on a good song and let my dance speak the words. Yep. It sounds cliche and perhaps a little ridiculous, but it's true.

Tonight, I had an actual reason besides my notthegreatest week to break out the music. Since my mom happens to be a tap dance teacher and my aunt is the director of a
liturgical dance team at the church I grew up in, I guess you could say I have some pull that has given me opportunities to dance ... even though I'm past the years of being an actual dance student.

In fact, in just under four weeks, I will be dancing in my aunt's annual dance concert - more like inspirational event. :) Although part of the choreography was done in my head while iPod listening during recent workouts and train rides, my roommate Sarah and I decided it may be a good idea to get something 'on paper' considering we have to teach the dance in two weeks. (Quite the concept.)

So we did. And our efforts, I must say, were pretty efficient ... the dance was completely choreographed in a little over one hour.

But I think that accomplishment can be chalked up to much more than any ounce of creative talent we might have. Because what I hope and pray for is that for someone sitting in that audience on that day, watching that dance will be exactly what they need at that moment. And I know it's only God's choreography - not ours - that could ever accomplish that.

So, tonight - I'm thanking God for the gift and the expression of dance. I feel refreshed ... and released. :)

What's your release during the notsogreat times?

__________

Random fact: It's Lady GaGa's song Just Dance that provided the inspiration to this blog title.

Random personal opinion: I'm not a huge fan of that song and think it's grossly overplayed, but it served a purpose here. ;)

3 comments:

jlc said...

HEART that song!

Kristi said...

Must. See. This. Video. ASAP.

Anonymous said...

Love this post......great memories of cute little you on the prop box:)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin