... here's how I'll tackle this one.
First, here's a list of things that happened. Some blonde moments included.
- To spare putting miles on my leased car, the train was my method of transportation. From experience, I brilliantly chose a seat far from the bathroom. The trip both ways was smooth sailing, although, I fear I was 'that girl' since I talked a bit too much on the phone and likely annoyed everyone within an ear shot with my conversations. Phone conversations while on public transportation is one of my pet peeves and I try everything I can to avoid it. No one cares to hear what you did last night or what you plan to do tomorrow. I promise. For this trip, though - I'm guilty as charged.
- We paid cover at a bar to hear a cover band play. Normally, I try to avoid paying cover anywhere, but this band seriously rocked it out. Maggie Speaks. Great variety and so talented. I heart them. Worth the cover.
- Average age of the crowd at said 'concert?' Let's just say an average of 10 years older than me. Yeah. Very strange for the bar we were at, too. Now, don't get me wrong - I think it's great that these 'old' people liked to have a good time. But being hit on by old men and watching the ladies act like they're 20? Nope, notsomuch. Never fun.
- Speaking of 'old' people at the bar, we were ridiculously entertained by one lady in particular. About 37ish and well over 6'0 tall - she was hard to miss. She also happened to be the first so-called 'cougar' that I've ever seen in action. Hitting. On. Every. Guy. The best part? My friend Tiffany and I hit up the ladies room for no more than 5 minutes and upon our return, guess who was chatting up Tiff's boyfriend? Yep, amazon lady. She split as soon as she saw us, but still. Seriously?
- I got to visit my old workplace. It's always a strange experience - feels like home, but yet so different. For sure awesome to see everyone. :)
- I love you Tiffany, but ... I definitely waited about an hour outside of Tiff's apartment when I got to Chicago waiting for her to get home. Which is fiiiine. Now, normally, I would have just found something to do, but I definitely had all of my luggage in tow. I did manage to walk to Jamba Juice (Mmmm.) while lugging everything around with me. No less than four cabs stopped and flagged me down while I was walking. No, friendly cab driver. I realize I look ridiculous but you are not getting my business. Besides, I think I look pretty cool rolling my suitcase down the streets of Chicago, don't you think?
- While going to bed one night, Tiff and I were talking about - something. I don't know, but I think it was plans for the next day. Apparently I was super tired because all of the sudden mid-conversation, I started talking about putting pizza in the oven. I know, what?! I was totally half-asleep and talking nonsense. I 'woke up' and realized what I said when Tiff was like, 'Wait, what did you just say?' This was followed by a good 10 minutes of crying-laughter and the incidence has been re-visited several times since then. Talking in my sleep ... definitely a new development.
There's more, but I'm not recalling the goods right now.
Second - things I do not miss about Chicago:
- The money. Oh, the money. I am not lying. $20 dollars was spent within ten minutes of stepping into the city. Not cool. It was a quick - and clear - reminder of why I moved.
- Circling the block for a good 30 minutes to find parking. I'm not going to lie ... I definitely remember shedding tears a couple of times when I couldn't find a parking spot. Street parking - how I do not miss you.
- When the weather is good in Chicago, there's no better place to be. When it's bad? No fun. Fortunately, we were blessed with three picture perfect, out of the ordinary, 60 degree and sunny days before the two days of constant, cold and torrential downpour hit.
And lastly - what I do miss about Chicago:
- My friends :)
- Walking everywhere. Honestly. I love how the city just lends itself to a more active lifestyle. I walked so much and when it was nice out, literally none of my time was spent inside, but outside walking around. Love it. Miss it.
- Sushi. Sushi. Sushi. There is a good possibility that this is my very favorite food. I could absolutely eat it daily. And I have hands down never had better sushi than what is available in Chicago. In fact, my first request to Tiffany upon arriving was that we ate sushi no less than two times while I was there. We did. It was delish. Two times was not enough.
- One thing I forgot about city life but totally miss - there are a lot of people who talk to themselves while walking on the streets. Sad, actually - since they don't have anyone else to talk to. But it is kind of funny and puts a smile on my face. :)
It was a super fun trip and it was so good to catch up with friends that I haven't seen in a while. It also feels really good to report that this was the first time that I left the city feeling completely okay with my 'tourist' status as opposed to my 'resident' status. The past couple of years have been full of change and a fair share of challenges, but it's pretty amazing to look at where God has taken me on this journey.
I'm so happy where I'm at and so thankful for where I've been. God is in the details and He's painting a beautiful picture.

Edited to add: So, upon re-reading this post, I've decided it's officially my worst post yet. And for that, I apologize if you actually read through it. Oh well. You win some, you lose some.
4 comments:
Nice blog entry, it sounds like a fabulous time!! One question though, do you think people in Chicago are really talking to themselves or is it just that they have those tiny little bluetooths in their ear????
Hmmmmmm......something to think about? :)
my thoughts exactly brooke...
also...jame, talking in your sleep is much better than having shards of glass falling on you...
No, definitely not Bluetooth talking. These are people like you see in the movies - swearing at themselves or talking to invisible people. It's definitely a good thought, but no.
And yes, Micah. Shards of glass = no fun. :)
Great pictures!! Very cute. Oh and you couldn't have a bad post if you tried! ;)
Post a Comment