Wednesday, January 27, 2010

I don't know you. And you're touching me.

Here's the drill. For the past three days, I've had to get up at 5am for clinicals. I make it through the day just fine but then everyday, at 7ish pm ... I crash. I stop having any form of physical energy and I start talking nonsense. Lucky for me - and more so, my future patients - my window of functionality seems to be sitting around 12 hours, aka, a typical nursing shift.

Somewhere in the midst of these crazy busy last few days, I forgot to eat lunch for a couple of days. Oops.

Naturally, by the time I left clinical, I was starving. Seriously starving.

So when I drove by a Chinese restaurant on my way home today, I just couldn't resist.

Enter awkward situation.

As soon as I walked through the door of said restaurant, the sweet 30ish lady working at the front came over to me and started feeling my coat. Not lying.

My coat is nothing exciting - I promise. But she found it quite intriguing. She was asking questions about it, wanted to know if it kept me warm, how much it cost, how I wash it ... on and on. All while patting my arms to see how it felt.

I smiled, answered her questions and while it was very - um - strange, she was very sweet so there was no need to be alarmed, annoyed or offended.

Then, after I got my food, the coat lover brought her MOM over and proceeded to tell me that she wanted to see my coat too.

Now, mom speaks no english.

So, now to add to the awkwardness of a stranger patting your coat, imagine how it felt when not one, but TWO strangers are feeling my coat and. AND ... they are carrying on a full conversation (I assume about the coat). In Chinese.

They were so enthralled by my average, non-exciting coat that I even thought that maybe they would give me a disounted meal. No such luck. But I did leave getting weird stares from all of the diners in the restaurant.

I would offer a final conclusion to this story, but there really are no words.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Weirdness.....but not surprised it happened to you. You always seem to enter into interesting little situations!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin