Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Moving day.

I've been trying to solve this mystery all day. The mystery:

I feel like I worked out.

I haven't worked out in days weeks. (And, no. I'm not proud of that.)

So WHY? Why do the muscles in my sides, my abs and my back ache like I just finished a workout the likes of those on The Biggest Loser?

My entire day has been spent trying to figure out the answer to this question. After falsely diagnosing myself with the flu, spleen enlargement and potential kidney failure, the answer came to me out of nowhere:

Yesterday at clinical, I lifted my patient no less than six times, and helped my classmates transfer their patients as well.

Let me just divulge a little honesty here: Transferring patients competes for the number one spot of my least favorite part about nursing.

Yes. It has to be done. Yes. I would do anything to make my patients feel comfortable. Yes. Helping my patients retain their dignity is priority numero uno. BUT. Moving an adult that can't offer much strength is not my strong point. At all. I'm not good at it. In fact, my patient yesterday told me just that in the nicest way possible. This was no surprise to me.

Side note: Picture me lifting and moving a full-grown adult. I assure you, it's hysterical.

On top of the fact that it's hard ... My biggest fear next to a choking patient is a falling patient. It freaks me right out. (And, yes. I have strange fears. Don't worry about it.)

Needless to say, I can add yet another item to my list of reasons why I want to be a pediatric nurse: Kiddos are smaller. Plain and simple.

Mystery solved. Can I count that as an actual workout?

2 comments:

Kelli said...

Hahaha. Still loving your self-diagnoses best :) AND... do they not have Hoyer lifts? Sheesh!

Jamie said...

Unfortunately, use of the Hoyer wasn't really validated for my purposes that day :( My only experience with it, in fact, was practicing moving my classmates ... which was the ultimate FUN :) lol

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin