I'm taking summer classes. That means chaos and mandatory organization. Needless to say, I was looking forward to my one-week break in between semesters. So you can imagine my disappointment when I found out that my 5 day break was only 3. But I put on my happy face and planned as much fun as possible for my break.
When you're a second-degree student, the thought of the amount of money you owe the bank (or in my case, my parents) tends to loom over you more so than the much happier thought of having your degree in hand at the end of it all. It was with this thought in mind that I knew I could not really 'take a break.' I needed to work. Fortunately, I happen to work for wonderful people who have allowed me to continue to work part-time while I go to school.
Even better, I work with fun-incarnate ... my friend Kristi. So when I was asked to work a company Global Conference on my week off, it wasn't too difficult to accept the task. Fun did ensue on the first day of my break as Kristi and Joe (still somewhat newlyweds I suppose) introduced me to a unique band ... er, experience? We hit up the Majestic Theater in downtown Detroit for the Cowboy Mouth concert.

(Notice Joe's shirt .... true fan. That he is)
Cowboy Mouth veterans, Kristi and Joe warned me of a few things:
- No sitting allowed at the concert (sure enough, before the first song was complete, enthusiastic lead singer Fred was in the audience having 'words' with anyone seated)
- You must act like you are 5 years old on Christmas morning (Check!)
- Red spoons and drumsticks will be thrown (Sure enough, they were. And Kristi has excellent aim - hitting Fred smack in the middle of his head)
- You'll see more sweat than you ever have in your life (Boy did I! That Fred is cr-az-y)
Fun was had by all. The next plan-o-fun included an outdoor BBQ with cousins Kelly and Dylan and special guest Aunt Cher. After a fantastic dinner and some much needed catching up, it was on to a game of 'washer toss,' 'box game' - whatever it's called. It is well-known that I am really really good at this game (Note: This is a lie. I am really horrible).
After a couple of games, it was confirmed. Jamie is not good at washer toss. Dylan, I hear, is currently trying to convince my brother-in-law to 'please work with her' or else no one will be willing to sacrifice a game by being my partner. Pathetic.


The 'Washer Toss'
The little man in my life.
Early Friday morning, I headed off on a lonely 8 hour drive. A lonely drive with a very rewarding ending - a visit with my sister, bro-in-law and nephew. It takes everything in me to not buy a one-way ticket to stay there forever.
There's nothing cuter than my nephew. I'm not his parent, so I can show that type of pride. I love being an auntie.
My Little Guy will turn 2 on July 12. Sister keeps saying he is entering a new stage and occasionally has a little attitude. This makes me laugh (another reason why being an auntie is so wonderful). I witnessed Little Guy's terrible twos moment when Sister tried to feed him apples ... apples whose healthfulness was disguised by peanut butter. Two year olds are smart. We watched as he carefully sucked off the peanut butter before spitting out the apple. This called for another 'new thing' for the Little Guy - Time Out. This doesn't need much explanation ... a picture will do.

Taking a 2-year old putt-putt golfing may not have been the best idea. It wasn't until about the 14th hole that we realized it's super easy to appease him. He was perfectly content as long as he had a blue golf ball in hand.
The highlight of the night came on the 18th and final hole when the Little Guy took a step backward and directly into the hole. It wouldn't have been a problem except for the fact that the last hole happens to be a long tube leading back to the clubhouse. Low and behold, it was the perfect fit for a leg the size of a 2-year old. After a brief moment of panic and visions of having to carrying him out with half of the 18th green around his leg, we were able to set him free. Surely he was crying, right? Nope. Laughing. He's awesome.
It was a great week and now I'm back to school. I'll end by saying there's nothing more entertaining than hearing the Little Guy mimic the things you say. Two of my favorites from this week: 'Hody Mody' and 'Are you kee-ing me?'
1 comment:
Yes! I think I am the first one to officially comment!
Jamie, this is very exciting and very different. You, a blogger...what? - I think it actually really works for ya! :)
Post a Comment