Friday, November 7, 2008

"Cherish your life"

If, by the title of this post, you think I am going to be writing about 'warm fuzzies' - you would be wrong.

If you are hoping for a post about not taking the little things in life for granted - sorry, you're mistaken. (It's a fab concept though, no?)

You may agree that it seems as twisted as can be that this cliche phrase, albeit true and encouraging, is actually the theme of a horror movie. Last night, I was roped in to watching Saw IV. That's right - IV. I haven't seen I, II or III and apparently V is already in theaters. (Warning: Digression starts here. I strongly dislike Roman numerals. I once had to take a matching quiz using them and all memory of what number any of them represented escaped me. Fortunately, I'm not above admitting I have blonde moments, and I asked for clarification. I'm all for giving props to my fellow Romans, but I would vote for elimination of the use of their numeric system.)

End of digression.

I used to love scary movies. When I was younger, I watched a lot of them. This included the 90s classic, When a Stranger Calls Back. I cannot tell you how many friends I watched this movie with on separate occasions. Each time, food was thrown after being startled and screams were truly horror-ific. However, my cousin and his gf (my roommate), informed me after I encouraged them to purchase the movie, that it was a) stupid, b) not at all scary, and c) weird. They quickly donated the movie to me. I don't know where it is.

Somewhere between then and now, even the thought of a scary movie has me covering my eyes and ears in fear. What happened? I have no clue.

So last night, I put up a hard fight right until the end - with no avail. I watched the movie.

And I survived. And what's better - I only screamed once and covered my eyes twice (somehow, when you can only see the screen through the sliver of your hand, it makes things much better). Maybe I'm back on the scary movie bandwagon? We'll see. I'm not making any promises.

Our post-flick evaluation is that the writer of five of these movies must be sick to be able to come up with such insane ways of torturing people.

BTW, the 'cherish your life' concept is the whole premise for the 'bad guy(s)/girls' in this movie. Don't appreciate life? Hurt an innocent person? You'll pay.

My response after analyzing our disgust and horror at the scenes? "Actually, the basic theme of the movie is somewhat refreshing - life could always be worse. Appreciate the small stuff." To which Eric responded, "I knew you would find the good side of it, Jame."

I'm just trying to 'cherish my life.' :)

I will not be seeing Saw I-III, or V. And I will not be using Roman numerals at any point outside of this purpose.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

No, you didn't watch that! Ugh, I watched Saw I, and I vowed to never see another one. They are sickening! Anyway, I'm surprised you made it through.

I totally agree with banning the Roman Numeric system as well. When I read your post I got stuck on this part because I had to figure out which # you were referring to!

All in all, another good entry.

Anonymous said...

do you want to play a game?!?!

Jamie said...

Anonymous (aka, Micah): Haha. Not funny.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin