Sunday, April 26, 2009

Boys vs. Girls ... and lip gloss.

It's no secret that boys and girls are different. I've always been one of 'those girls' who dreams of having a daughter some day. Dance classes, adorable dresses, cute hairstyles - all of that seemed so fun to me. And I'm still sure there's something special and unique about those things only little girls have in their natures that would be an awesome experience to have.


BUT.


I have learned lately - mostly since my sister blessed me with two nephews - that little boys are hilarious. With little boys, all that prim and properness is ignored and what's left is a bunch of little cheesy and unapolegetically dorky little kids who - to me - provide pure hysterical entertainment.

Now it's also no secret that I thoroughly enjoy being a girl. I did all of that girly stuff that little girls do ... except for one major little girl milestone: I did not like Barbies.

So you can imagine that I was somewhat out of my comfort zone during recent babysitting jobs for an adorable little girl who just happens to LOVE playing Barbies. Oy. I'm really sorry. I know it's a very normal little girl thing to do, but I just do not find the fun in coming up with imaginary stories about Barbie, her groupies and ... Ken.

During the most recent babysitting experience, the Barbies had magic powers and could turn into mermaids. Of course, who am I to steal any fun away from a little girl who was having the time of her life replaying the same story over and over ... and over. But I was yearning for some more active activity. So every once in a while, I made a suggestion:

Wouldn't it be fun to go for a bike ride? "No. I don't like doing that."

How about drawing with chalk on the driveway? "Ummm ... no. I want to keep playing Barbies."

Throughout the day, a talent show and a walk were also turned down and while we did get outside to swing and go on the slide for a little bit, I would say approximately 6 out of the 8 hours I was there was spent with the magical mermaid Barbies. At least I did the only thing that mattered - she had fun.

So this morning when I arrived to hang with the 4-year-olds at church, I made a beeline straight for the little boys playing with animals for a change of activity. Oh yes. Boys and girls are different.

I was put in charge of four toy tigers and as my hand held them, it was caught in the line of fire and attacked incessantly by the little tike's cheetah and elephant (who could fly) who were trying to kill my tigers. They won.

We also built towers - on which they stood in order to be taller than me. I drew the line when they asked me to stand on one of the towers because they thought that I surely would be able to touch the ceiling. All I saw was disaster ... likely a broken tower and a couple of broken bones, not to mention humiliation.

The morning ended as each kid took a turn chasing me around the room 'stinging' me with a bee puppet.

Now that's fun. Ha!
_________________

That's all I've got about that, but in completely unrelated news: I have an addiction.

To lip gloss.

It is incredibly dangerous for me to set foot near any makeup counter, but especially the MAC counter. I may as well start wearing a sign that reads 'sucker' when I'm anywhere near it because I can be talked into just about any product they are offering within a matter of seconds.

Knowing this, I mentally prepared myself yesterday before going to MAC to purchase ONE eyeshadow that I needed (really, I did need it). The situation unfolded like this:

Me: "All I need is eyeshadow in Shroom."

MAC dude (who, btw, had flowers drawn on his face with makeup ... which is fiiiine): "Okay." Seeing me checking out the new line of makeup, he goes for the kill. "Oh, have you seen our new colors? They are fabulous."

Me thinking: "They always are. No, Jamie! Be strong."
Me: "I think I'll just stick with the one eyeshadow today."


MAC dude is cool with that and walks to the cash register. As I follow him, it was like the sky opened up and shown the most heavenly light directly on THE lip gloss. The same lip gloss that I fell in love with a couple of years or so ago but couldn't get again because it was a limited edition.

Me: "What?! It's back?"
MAC dude: "Oh, the Dazzleglass. Yes, it's back for a limited time again."


Hook. Line. Sinker. Sucker.


Come on. It's called Dazzleglass. You expect me to pass that up?


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Jame......you and that MAC makeup. I was quite proud of your willpower though. However, big props to the marketing people who came up with dazzleglass for a name. I would've fallen too.

Thanks for the shout out to my boys too! This will make you laugh.....I asked T to get me a kleenex. He said, "Uhhhh, yesth." He was taking awhile but came back with a perfectly torn square of TP. I was pretty impressed even though it wasn't a kleenex. Then I went into the bathroom...........TP unraveled all over the place! I guess that's what the hold up was....oh well. It gave us a laugh!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin