Summer is almost here and today, not only did I get to enjoy lunch at a restaurant with outdoor seating (one of my favorite things during summer), but it was almost nice enough for the beach. How do I know it was just almost nice enough?
Well, my roommate Sarah and I went to the beach and tried it out for ourselves.
There are a couple key must haves for the perfect beach day:
- Clear blue skies. Check. We had those. And this. This makes me very, very happy.
- Close to 80 degree temperatures. Yep. Had that too.
So why, you ask, wasn't it a perfect beach day? The wind.
Our first sign that the wind may be threatening our much anticipated first day at the beach was that upon our arrival, there were more (many more) kite fliers than beach-goers.
Next, it took a lifetime to lay out our towels without them blowing away from us.
By this time we had remembered that the wind + the lakeshore drops the temperature about 20 degrees. That 80 degree criteria we had going for us went out the window quickly. But we were just so excited to be there, nothing could deter us from getting at least an hour of sun.
It wasn't until we were officially 'lying out' that our friend the wind showed its true colors. Sand was blowing in our faces non. stop. As in - the sand never stopped blowing. Not even for a second.
Oh well. We can deal.
And we did. Until Sarah looked at my ear and informed me that I had at least a teaspoon of sand in there. Ha!
Soon after, we decided maybe a better way to spend time outside was to take a nice walk. So we did. And there was no more blowing sand.
A long shower did the trick of removing all of the sand from my ear, hair and face. Who needs microderm abrasion to smooth their face? Just hit the beach on a windy day and sandblasting works just as well.
No bad news ... just BETTER news: It can only get warmer from here on out and the beach days will only get more perfect. I am so, so thankful to live so close to so many amazing beaches. Sarah and I already have our beaches prioritized and will be planted there as often as possible.
Woot!! Happy almost SUMMER!!
2 comments:
Cracking up! Mainly because I can just picture you and Sar doing everything you talked about and it makes me smile! However, despite the wind, i totally would have been right there with you if I could've been. I am so so ready for summer and beaches!!!
The fact that you get to the beach anytime you want makes it really hard for me to feel sorry for you because of the wind. ;) I love eating outside too...in fact, I just bought a picnic table today so L and I can have lunch al fresco now that it is nice!
Post a Comment