When you are in class seven hours a day, for at least four days a week with the same 24 people, you are going to get to know one another very quickly. Add to that the fact that in nursing school, all modesty is kicked to the curb and every personal subject is fair game for discussion.
Here's a funny story:
Two days into classes, we are asked to pair ourselves off to complete a full health history questionnaire. 'Full' should have been a hint that this was going to get personal. Unfortunately for me, I didn't take that hint.
Naturally, I partnered up with the person sitting next to me. Now, the makeup of our class is:
a. 21 girls
b. 2 married guys
c. 1 not married guy
Enter funny part. Option C is what I got.
No biggie for page one of the SIX page questionnaire ... name, age, birthdate ... easy stuff. Smooth sailing.
It wasn't until about page three when he asked for my weight that things started to get dicey ... and pretty hysterical. Note: I know you're thinking, 'why didn't you just lie on your answers?' Well, you see - I am a horrid liar even when there would be no consequences (as in this situation). I am the girl who gets pulled over and apologizes profusely, stating exactly what I did wrong. Fortunately, this has always paid off for me. So, I didn't even think about lying in this case and I was honest.
"Hi, I'm Jamie. Nice to meet you. Now let me tell you my weight, how many times I took a crap yesterday and my complete sexual history." (And no, blog world - you will not be getting even a smidgen of a hint on details of ANY of those items. No, no, no.)
Bottom line:
This guy now knows more about me than probably even my own mother. And I get to see him practically daily.
Let's just say he holds some very sacred and valuable information. I find it all very humorous and a very typical scenario for me to find myself in.
At least we both had a sense of humor about the whole thing.
Besides, this is only the beginning of how much we're all going to 'learn' about one another over the next 51 weeks.
Which reminds me ... one week down!! And, I successfully passed my vital signs testing today ... woohoo!
Other things I learned this week:
- In nursing, different specializations can be compared to department stores. It seems ER nursing is the Saks Fifth Avenue.
- Grey's Anatomy can be used as a learning tool. Fine by me.
- Apparently, I don't breathe. Every classmate who measured my respirations couldn't see me breathing. I think I'm alive.
- This whole set-up is a very effective way of meeting new friends. Which is good since I'm still fairly new to the area. Woot!
- This is going to be exhausting.
Over and out. Enjoy the weekend!! I know I will.
___________
Edited to add: The busy week has finally caught up with me. I'm exhausted - but not yet overwhelmed (so that's good). And every little thing is just hilarious to me right now. You know how you get to that point where you laugh for no good reason and then can't stop? That's where I am.
On a separate note - I am seriously missing my family and friends that live out of the area. We all knew going into this that it was going to be hard to get together due to my schedule, but I'm experiencing my first 'this sucks' moment of this process. See, I'm not really a good sport when it comes to missing out on things. And this weekend, my sister and her family were back in hometown, Michigan for a wedding.
Typically, I would be able to get back there to see them but with a Saturday exam, it wasn't possible. Annnnd, yesterday, my parents had a BBQ with basically my entire extended family. I love BBQs. I love being outside. I looooove my family. So, I missed out on a good time. And I'm sad about it. In fact, I just saw pictures that my cousin took and a tear immediately ran down my cheek seeing all of them together.
Yes. This was a pity party. Sorry. Hopefully I see something random soon that sparks my delirious laughter. Haha.
6 comments:
Two things:
1) Mad at you, because now I have that stooping song in my head, and it will likely be stuck there all.day. "Getting to knoooooow yooooouuuuu. Getting to know alllll abouuuut youuu. Getting to liiiiiike youuuuu, getting to hope youuuuu like meeeeeeeeeeee." Ugh. Stoopid Oscar Hammerstein.
2) This boy. Is he cute?
LOL! totally hilarious. At the very least now you're got the hard stuff out of the way :-) I look forward to the next 50 weeks of stories lol
I'm going to ask what Kristi asked...is he cute?! haha
Good job on your first week!
SO funny! I guess I am weird but it wouldn't bother me a bit to share that stuff with a classmate. Hee hee. I am WAY too open. Hmmm.
two comments...
1) we definitely missed you on friday night...just wasn't the same without you...and sarah could've used some of your help on the cornhole game...
2) per our phone discussion on friday nite and the above comments...I rest my case...
Yes, Jame, totally agree with Micah, it was obvious that you were missing on saturday, and family gettogethers just aren't the same without you!! But, we are proud of you for pursuing this next step in life and know you'll be great at it!!
This post was absolutely hilarious! Mom told me about this and I forgot to ask you about it yesterday. Of course this would happen to you.
I also have to ask......Was this boy cute??? Do tell....
Love you:)
Post a Comment