Pharmacology exam #1 is complete. Passed. Whew.
This week consists of a ton of reading. Now, reading for school is not my forte. As in ... I don't typically participate in said activity. And for the six years I've spent in college thus far (need.to.graduate.NOW.), I've been able to survive despite this. Not anymore.
Any time we start a new topic, we have a quiz ... before we discuss the material. Hence - must read. After chatting with my classmates this morning, it seems we all have arrived at the same conclusion: taking Saturday or Sunday completely 'off' as far as reading goes is no longer going to fly. Pshhh. This is only one year of my life, only one year, only one year ......
Today's 5-hour lecture focused on a topic completely foreign to me considering it is the exact topic I hold my first Bachelors degree in ... communication.
Now I realize this is an essential aspect of nursing, but somehow I think since all of us have degrees and for the most part have held full time jobs, some of this information could be eliminated for the sake of repetition. But alas, it's not. And, let me tell you - nursing students like to 'discuss.' Oh yes. So the fact that we are discussing issues most of the time instead of being lectured to makes the five hours a bit more bearable.
Today's highlight was during a group activity in which we had to act out sentiments non-verbally. My word? Panic.
I wasn't 2 seconds into acting out the word that my fellow group members burst into laughter. Naturally, I followed their cue. Unfortunately, acting out 'panic' with a smile on your face trying to hold in laughter is not the way to go. No one guessed my word. Fail.
Here are other things you learn in Week 2 of becoming a nurse:
- Physical examination techniques. This requires me to wear a pair of shorts and a sports bra/bikini top for the next three days in class. I am pumped about that idea. <---sarcasm. NOW I know why more males are entering the nursing field ...
- Every detail about the head, eyes, ears, nose & throat. Thrilling.
- Assessment of thorax (maybe I should learn what that is), lungs, cardiac and peripheral vascular system and skin.
- Breasts & abdomen assessment. Again, getting to know you, getting to know ALL about you. And, is it just me or are the guys at a total advantage here? Seriously.
Like I said, SUPER fun week :)
And one more thing ... Happy Birthday, Darby!!!
3 comments:
The shorts and bra thing and the stomach/breast exam...terrifying. You are a better woman than me. Good luck.
Shorts?? Really?? Not sure about that, but yes, the sports bra I get, and you are correct, this portion of nursing school is SUPER fun......ahh, kidding, but I survived and you will too. I just pray you get a different partner this time :)
P.S. Totally died laughing when I pictured you acting out "panic"!
hahaha I would of looked like a fool if I had the word panic! But I guess you and your classmates are going to get EVEN CLOSER..hopefully you'll have a girl this time!
Post a Comment