Oh, readers. I've got a good one for you today. But before I get to the goods, I have to apologize for all of the posts about school. I would love to provide more variety, but unfortch - beyond school, I've got nothing. I'm sure you're sick of hearing about the nursing talk - I am too - but bear with me and I will try to get some other topics in here sometimes.
Here's how today went down.
It all started when my instructor (whom, may I say, I truly adore. She's awesome.) asked for a volunteer. We're learning all of the steps of a full physical examination which requires daily demonstrations. CLEARLY, my logical sense of reasoning decided to completely flake out on me after she asked for a volunteer.
My hand went up. This simple action elicited the following response from my instructor:
"Oh, thank you!" (very enthusiastic) "You ROCK, Jamie!" Uh oh.
I knew my fate immediately. Something embarrassing was about to go down and I was the prime target. Beautiful.
I walked up to the front of the room where the demonstrations take place.
Says my instructor: "Oh, actually I'm going to need you to go change into your sports bra and shorts." Cue the a-ha moment. Yes, this should be fun.
Now, I was provided with a hospital gown to 'cover up' with so things didn't seem all that bad. And, besides - the hospital gown look is so chic. You know it.
I emerged from the bathroom in my super fantastic ensemble to hooting and hollering from my classmates. For this type of encouragement and reassurance, I adore them. For entertainment purposes and some comic relief - and because, let's face it, I'm a total dork - I couldn't help but do a little runway walk and a few model poses. Just embrace it, right?
I hop up on the examination table. On display.
This particular demonstration was on the thorax and lungs. Remember me mentioning I should probably find out what the thorax was? Yeah. It's the ribcage area - aka, chest.
At this point, the security of the hospital gown was ditched. Which means I'm now sitting on the table half naked. This is just a dream come true.
Just about the time that I was feeling a little better about being on display, my instructor said she was going to check the profile of my chest. Ohhhhh, crap.
You see, my sternum (bone in chest) - which is supposed to be flat - is pushed out. Meaning I have a bump in the middle of my chest that can be seen when you look at the profile view. I always thought it was just a strange thing, but while reading last night, I discovered that it is a 'normal abnormality' that actually has a name.
So I knew at this moment that she was going to see that and expose my deformity. And that, she did.
"Oh wow, you guys! Jamie has insert long medical term! Everyone come close so you can get a better look!" Note: Medical people get really excited about these things.
Well, this just got even more fun. (BTW, jumping forward ... when I went back to my seat after the demonstration, my friend says to me, 'You made the book!' haha ... I suppose it's my claim to fame)
Back to demonstration ...
You can imagine my delight when this happened next:
My instructor was teaching us how to listen for breath sounds in the lungs. Anatomy 101: lungs are under the ribs. Which means they are also under the girly parts. For me, the two other bumps in my chest ... if you catch my drift.
Now, it must be said that God has blessed me maybe a little too much in this area. Ahem. Because of this, my instructor had to add a disclaimer before listening to my breath sounds:
"If you are working with a female patient, you may have to ask her to hold up her breasts so that you can listen to the breath sounds in the correct location. So, Jamie could you please hold up your breasts?"
Oh sure, why not? At this point, all modesty has been chucked out the window. Let me just grab my girls and hold them up for the next couple of minutes for all to see.
Yes. This was my day. My stories end there. What more can I say besides the fact that it was a fantastic day. There's not much more left for my classmates to find out about me at this point. Which is fiiiine.
Who knew nursing school would be so exciting! ;)
Happy, happy Friday everyone!!
______
Edited to add: Apparently there's some question ... Yes. This did really happen. haha
5 comments:
Are you kidding me???? Did this really happen, Jame? Wow......You are a trooper. Look at the bright side, I bet that instructor of yours looooooovvvvvveeeees you, and you've definitely got an in with her now.
OH MAN!!!! hahaha...you are one brave girl!
PS- loving the countdown at the bottom of your page LOL
Oh man! I'm laughing and cringing at the same time, im sorry..but this is a fabulous post! ;)
You are a braver woman than me. But I am also a little jealous...I wish I would have to lift up my breasts!
Jamie - crazy experience! I am so happy that you were able to embrace to awkwardness and turn in into a very funny moment and story :)
Post a Comment