Thursday, July 16, 2009

More than just a swimming pool and Spatz's toast.

Change of plans. Gina's blog today inspired a thought. So much for Thoughtless Thursday. Her post was inspired by Mama Kat's blog. The drill? She provides blogpost 'prompts' each week to give other bloggers ideas for posts. You choose a prompt, write about it and then share the link on her blog. Thank God people are more creative than me and can come up with inspiration for posting when I've got nothing.

Anyway, when I saw that the prompt was to write a tribute to your Grandpa, I couldn't resist. So, here it is. A tribute to one of the greatest men I know ...


From the beginning, my grandpa was an inspiration to me. And my memories of the time I spent with him and my grandma when I was little are endless ... and cherished. Visits to their house were always highly anticipated. Mainly because they had a pool. And cookies in the bottom drawer, candy in the closet, Dentyne cinnamon gum in the top kitchen drawer and Club crackers in the cupboard.

Even though the pool water never was warm enough for grandpa, he would still get in to play with us. He pushed us on the wooden swing hanging from the giant oak tree in the backyard and helped us look for stray golf balls hit into the yard from the nearby golf course.

Since my grandpa lives on a farm, many of my memories center on the times spent riding in tractors, exploring the land and woods, working on the Christmas tree farm, and - oh yeah - that time when my sister and I had to help take rabbit guards off the trees. Millions of trees. Okay, I'm exaggerating. His work ethic and values I can only strive to attain.

While it was the games and 'things' that stick in my mind about my grandpa from my childhood, it's his constant love and character that made me feel blessed by his presence in my life more and more as I grew up.

Softball/soccer/basketball games (don't be fooled, this stage didn't last too long). Band concerts. Dance recitals. Pageants. Grandpa and Grammie were - and still are - always a constant presence at everything I (or any of their grandchildren for that matter) was/am involved in. While I'm sure I took that for granted too many times, I now realize how much self-sacrifice they made to be a part of our lives. Not only did I have the unwavering support of my parents, I had the extra support of my grandparents. But I think what matters most is that they weren't just 'there,' they were overjoyed to be there. And their presence and involvement have taught me how much it means to be actively interested in the lives of those around you.

Traditions.

My family has lots of them. And many of them are inspired and held together by Grandpa and Grammie. The one that stands out is our family's annual trip 'up north' in Michigan. They started this tradition long before I was even on the radar. These annual trips are anticipated basically the whole year - by all of us.
I remember taking naps with Grandpa out on the beach during these trips when I was little. I remember playing catch. That was then, but the memories are still being made and many of the traditions still continue. In fact, my family is leaving today for this annual trip.

I can only go for a couple of days, but I can't wait to wake up to Grandpa standing by the toaster with countless loaves of Spatz's bread, with his sagging pants (he has no butt ... it's a running joke known by many), taking orders for toast. I'll take mine with butter and strawberry jelly, please.

People always wonder how our family of 19 can live together in one cottage for a whole week and leave still loving each other. And I admit that it's not often that teenagers, high schoolers, college-age, and twenty-somethings - like me and my cousins - get really excited about going on a family vacation. We have fun. We laugh. We love each other.

I know what a blessing this is and I know that it's because of my grandparents that this is reality for our family. They have always encouraged us to be close-knit.

Beyond swimming, farms and family vacations, I love my grandpa most of all because:
  • He is a man of faith whose love for Jesus pours out of him effortlessly. It's no doubt his relationship with God is at the core of who he is. His faith overflows into every aspect of his life and causes him to be ...

  • A man of compassion. Grandpa is always lending a hand and reaching out to others. I know so many people who would say their lives have been touched and blessed because of his compassionate nature. He may not be able to hear that well, but he listens. He loves genuinely and unconditionally.

  • He is charismatic. Everyone who meets him, loves him. You want to meet my Grandpa someday ... believe me. :)

  • He is (still) in love. One of the things I admire most is how my Grandpa loves my Grammie (and vice versa). Their marriage is one that I place on a pedestal. One of my favorite stories? Several years ago, I was telling Grammie how awesome of a husband Grandpa is (ladies: he loves to shop. Enough said.) She responds by saying, "Well, he has his quirks, but he sure does look cute when he gets dressed up." It's just an example of their fun-loving relationship. And I can't talk about their relationship without including that each night before they go to sleep, they hold hands and say the prayer 'Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep' out loud together. Isn't that just the cutest thing ever?

I could go on and on ... To my Grandpa: I could never begin to thank you for all you've done for me and what you mean to me. How I ended up so blessed to have you in my life is beyond me, but I'm thankful - immensely thankful - that I do. I'm inspired by you. I love you. Thank you for loving me.


The same sentiment goes for my Grandma, as I'm sure you already could have guessed. :)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tearing up....beautifully written Jame. I loved what you wrote, and love even more, the family that we have. Wow, so blessed.......

Gina said...

You did it! What a beautiful post! And thanks for linking me up. :) Your grandpa (and grandma) is adorable!!! You are truly blessed to have such an amazing family!

Unknown said...

This made me cry and cry. I loved seeing his picture. I am so glad you have that kind of wonderful love and support. What a fantastic blessing. Even though I cried, it made my day. Your Grandparents are beautiful!

Kristi said...

A WHOLE post about my boyfriend! Oh, how I love him so. And it should also be noted that to hear this man talk about his wife all these years later his love is still as fresh and cute as a teenager's. I LOVE THEM! :) Adopt me? :)

AmberDenae said...

This was just about the sweetest thing I have ever read! Made me miss my grandpa so very much. My grandpa was of the same calibur as yours- giving, compassionate, genuine, in love with Jesus, loving, kind hearted, gentle, and had so much character and integrity. I miss him every day but look forward to being reunited with him and my amazing grandma soon.

Sounds like you have an amazing family and I love your traditions. I'm sure you will carry them on with your children.

You are so blessed!

Thank you for sharing this, it was so inspiring.

Have a wonderful day!

Summer said...

excuse me while I ugly cry...and wipe snot and tears...

so sweet

Kelly said...

Jamie, this is an absolutely beautiful tribute to your grandpa and grandma! It made me tear up, too! They are absolutely amazing :)

Kelli said...

Jamie, this is awesome. I love Grandpa and consider it an honor to love his family :) What a wonderful legacy! Print and send this to him for sure! xoxo

Mic said...

one of the best posts shpeem...one of the best...

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin