Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Summer lovin'

Here it goes. Another post inspired by Mama Kat's blog prompts, aka a fun post that required no creative thought to get started. Brilliant.

The prompt asks to post about your 7 favorite summer items. I am going to take some creative freedom here and combine my favorite things about summer/favorite summer memories/favorite summer items. BUT, I assure you: there will be 7.
  1. What we Michiganders lovingly refer to as 'Up North.' I know most people dream of tropical beaches in lands far away (myself included), but there is something about the beaches, sand dunes and cottages of Up North that will never be beat. It's one of my favorite places in the world and holds some of my most treasured memories.

  2. Being active. Seriously. It's like magic. Summer hits, and my activity level rises immediately. Unfortch, this fact holds a little less truth this summer since I've had no choice but to sit inside for class, but we're not focusing on the negative here :)
  3. Barbecues. Summer is not summer without an outdoor barbecue, burgers, brats, corn on the cob, the works. And don't try to tell me otherwise.
  4. Chicago summers. Ah. It's one of my favorite summer memories, that lasted - well - all summer long when I lived in Chicago. City summers are kind of the opposite of Michigan summers, but with beaches with skyline views, Cubbie games, outdoor restaurants galore, street 'festivals,' etc. etc. etc. ... it was heaven on earth and felt like vacation every day. Sure, most days you couldn't get in the lake because of gross bacteria, but you know. Eh. You take the good with the bad.
  5. Anything that takes place at an outdoor restaurant/patio/bar, whatev. I don't know why but I think it's the best. thing. ever. to sit outside in the summer to enjoy a good drink especially in the presence of good company.

  6. Endless fun ... in general. It never fails. Summer weekends fill up fast with plans - you know, people to see, places to go. But I happen to love the busyness. And since my summer this year is essentially only the month of August when I'm not in school, I'm packing it all in: tubing down a river, barbecue parties, Cedar Point, a little trip to Florida and a trip to Chicago to top it all off. Obviously, it goes without saying that I'm highly anticipating the next month but I'm already scared about how fast it's bound to fly by ...
  7. Sun. Warmth. Clear blue skies. Perfection.

What are YOUR favorite things about summer? Let's hear it.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Pretty, pretty, pretty blog with a fabulous name!!

There is NOTHING like a good drink on a restaurant's outdoor patio. NOTHING.

:D

Kekibird said...

I love eating outdoors in summer too. It's all about summer foods and how you eat them. And the best way...out side...ahhh!!
Visiting from Mama Kat's.

Jen said...

I too am a MIchigander and love going Up North.

Anonymous said...

What about not having to wear a coat/jacket/parka/hat/mittens/scarf/boots/3pairsofsocks/snow pants and going out in flip flops and cute pair of capris and a tank top!

Glorious! ;)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin