It seems Tuesdays are going to be my blogging days :) I have a block of time between mentoring and clinicals in which it's not enough time to go all the way back home. So, I have made the coffee shop my home for these couple of hours and it seems blogging and coffee shops are a perfect match.
Today, I will tell you about my mentoring adventure. About two months ago, I arrived at an elementary school to meet my mentor child, not sure what to expect. Through my church, there are now over 200 mentors spending at least one hour per week with a child at this school, in which 90 percent of the students' families are below poverty level. I had been paired with a first grade little girl (who I will refer to as L)- who speaks minimal English.
My expertise in espanol is - well - limited. Limited to three years of studying it in high school, which was - well - longer ago than I care to admit.
This could be interesting. But challenging, and I'm up for that.
I picked up L from her classroom on that first day and as we walked down the hall to the 'Mentoring Center,' I discovered one thing: she's painfully shy. Ridiculously adorable and oh so shy.
I think on that first day she spoke maybe five words the whole time - give or take a few. I have since learned that her shyness is the main reason behind her being referred to the mentoring program.
Now, two months later, I have seen her come out of her shell a little bit more each week. I no longer have to ask her a question in order to get her to talk. This is all very good. Very encouraging, and very fun to watch. BUT. May I add that I have learned that shy is not all that bad.
Because when she was shy, she was more focused than any first grader I have ever met. She diligently worked on her schoolwork and impressed me each week by her attentiveness. And while I would rather let her play games and make crafts the whole hour, schoolwork is a required part of the gig. So, her shyness contributed to a very productive hour.
Well, that story has changed. Today, she galloped down the hall as other teachers looked on disapprovingly, she got up several times while we were reading wanting to show me random things around the room, and she made me explain to her how stitches work by requesting a drawing on the whiteboard.
Oh, and she also asked several times when I was going to bring her pizza for lunch. Are we having pizza today? (Nope, not today. Remember? I'm going to surprise you.) Next week? (We'll have to see.) How big will the pizza be? Will you bring two? (Probably not the best idea to let her in on to the fact that I would surprise her one week with a special lunch.)
I made my best - and somewhat successful - attempts to reign her focus back in, but I admit it was kind of entertaining to see such a different side of her personality.
Over the last eight weeks, I've learned that this learning experience is a two-way street. She teaches me Spanish ... I teach her English. She teaches me humility ... I teach her a little confidence. She opens my eyes to a new and different world ... and while I can't say a word, I pray my actions and consistent presence in her life open her eyes to the compassion and unconditional love of Jesus.
Y es el fin. Adios!
No comments:
Post a Comment