If you don't already know, I'm in nursing school. This change of plans came after working in the corporate world for two large companies in Chicago and Detroit for the past two years.
Today, I went to the local hospital to drop off my volunteer application. Should be easy enough, right? That's what I thought.
I was wrong.
In the corporate world - any application, any interview, anything - is handled by human resources. Assuming the health care world was no different, I successfully found HR and handed Hospital Lady the application.
Hospital Lady: "Oh no, honey. We don't take these."
Me: "Oh, I'm sorry. Where do I hand it in?"
Hospital Lady: "Volunteer Services." Note: If I would have known such a place existed, this wouldn't be an issue. Clearly, health care is much more department-specific than my beloved corporate world. What's more efficient? The jury's still out.
Me: "And how would I get to Volunteer Services?"
Hospital Lady: (Pointing off into neverland) "Go in the hospital entrance and go to Level B. Go to the back and you'll be there."
Me: "Thank you." And thank you for your clarity.
Let's get a few things straight. Um, this hospital happens to be huge with an entrance every 15 feet. What entrance?! And then, once I find the entrance and the mysterious Level B, I'm supposed to head to the back? Oh yes, that clears everything up.
Luckily, when I walked in the entrance that seemed the most appropriate, a nice Hospital Lady #2 must have spotted the look of pure confusion on my face. She immediately approached me and asked if I needed something.
Me: "Yes, I'm looking for Volunteer Services."
Hospital Lady #2: "Okay." Starts pointing. NOOO! Not again! "You know what? Let me just walk you there."
Thank GOD! Long story longer, Hospital Lady #2 guided this lost puppy straight to where I needed to be, which by the way - I would have NEVER found on my own without getting lost about a dozen more times.
I'm not quite sure how I was able to walk confidently into an 80 floor office building in downtown Chicago and find my way directly to where I needed to be without once ounce of confusion when I can't even get two steps inside a hospital without looking like a fish out of water.
This new life of mine will certainly be an adventure. I've been tossed violently out of my comfort zone and am starting a new exciting journey. And so, it begins ...
2 comments:
Lucky for nice woman #2! Good luck with your venture
Good luck to you!!
Post a Comment