In a small room big dreams came true. He smiled. He didn't cry. He let us hold him. He stared at us. He even laughed.
These were the words offered by my cousins - Erin & Nate - upon meeting their son.
Not yet a parent myself, I don't exactly know what the parent-child relationship is like. What I can only assume through observation is that becoming parents is an overwhelming, remarkable experience that words can't quite describe.
For Erin & Nate, the journey into parenthood has been what some would call frustrating, painful ... long. But more so - because of those things, not despite them - theirs is a journey that everyone would call inspirational. To say the very least.
It's hard to believe one week ago today we were leaving and now we're home from half way across the world with a child...presto, instant family. Well, that's what some might think or in love jokingly say. But for Erin and I, our little family was conceived in our hearts three years ago, when we decided to adopt. Not all conceptions take place in the womb.
(Note: As you most likely figured out, the italicized words come straight from the source - Erin & Nate. There's no chance that I could come close to describing their story as eloquently.)
You know when you see two people so in love, so loving, so compassionate and kind that you immediately think what amazing parents they would be? That's Erin & Nate.
So it would be unfair to say that the hearts of those who know them, love them, didn't break when their journey to start a family encountered a few bumps in the road. Like they said, it was three years ago that Erin & Nate made the decision to adopt. And since Erin's sister was adopted from Korea, that's where their hearts were set.
But God had someplace else in mind. And their adoption journey began some 600 miles from Korea ... in China.
It was expected that the child God intended for them would be placed in their home in a year - maybe two - not necessarily three. Adoption policy changes in China put more bumps in the road and the wait became longer. Knowing the absolutely incredible parents Erin & Nate would be, I personally had a hard time understanding the 'why?' that lingered through all of this waiting. I can't imagine the emotions that must have flooded Erin & Nate's hearts through this time.
It was after a couple of years that Erin & Nate decided to place their names on the special needs list. These children have various health problems and are also in need of and so deserving of loving homes.
After another waiting period, the call came. The adoption agency. In more or less words, I've heard the conversation went something like this:
"We have a child for you. It's a little boy. He's actually not from China, but Korea. And he is perfectly healthy, and we need to place him in a home in [insert state] and you are the only family living in that state with our agency."
A-maz-ing.
True, not all conceptions take place in the womb. But there's no denying the plan God had conceived for this beautiful family before they could even conceive the thought of what that family would look like - or when that family would be complete.
All of the things that 'fell into place' - not random, but intricately orchestrated in perfect timing, demonstrate the perfect love, of a perfect God, who has since the beginning of time had His wheels turning for this ascloseasitgetsto perfect family. (I saw this new family in action yesterday at Josiah's baptism, so I assure you - this is true!)
I know this post is getting lengthy, but in closing - the words of a new mother that couldn't be more, you guessed it ... perfect.
Every day with Josiah is healing for me. I didn't really realize the emotional toll the waiting time took on me, but it amazes me how quickly the pain has dissipated and is replaced with so much joy and love for him. ... I wouldn't trade the time and it has in fact made this moment so much sweeter. How great is our God. NO experience in life is wasted because through them he teaches us and uses these times to draw us to a closer, more intimate relationship with Him.
And from the new dad ...
Our hope is not in how fast Josiah will bond to us, but in God who loved us before we ever loved Him. Our prayer is bold-that God would allow us a peek at His love, so we may be patient and understanding and long-suffering and always ready to receive whatever, whenever Josiah begins to trust us as his mom and dad...what a glorious, captivating journey. I wish I could speak with great pride and joy that those three years will filled with confident prayers to the Triune God. But I can't. In too many sinful moments and sometimes outright anger, we spoke to God in protest of His timing, His unveiling of our lives. How foolish. Holding Josiah, making him laugh, watching Erin parent him, and in a million other small, seemingly insignificant things, I am grateful most grateful, for God's never tiring love inside His perfect plan.

And, he just happens to be perfectly adorable!
2 comments:
This is a truly wonderful post. Congratulations to the parents and to all of you. You have certainly been blessed
Best post ever, Jame. You couldn't have phrased their journey better. Wiping a tear as a type.......praising God tonight on Erin and Nate's behalf.
Post a Comment