Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Free breakfast with a little OCD on the side.

I was out of bed and on the road at 5:30 this morning.

Not for an insanely early class, for work or a long commute. For something one thousand percent more important - free breakfast at Denny's.

It was my roommate Sarah's idea and I immediately hopped on board. A spontaneous adventure at no cost? I'm always game.

The plan of action was perfect: set alarms for 5:30, be on the road by 5:35 (showers are so overrated when free food is on the line), Denny's by 6, on our way to classes by 7:30.

Our plans were temporarily delayed when Sarah's alarm failed to go off. No worries though as I was up and at 'em and served as a personal wake up call. We were still on the road by 5:35ish. Back on track - but only for a little bit. Our plans were officially thwarted when we pulled into Denny's and saw people lined up out the door. Apparently lots of Americans jump at the chance for free pancakes and eggs. Crap.

From the picture of the free breakfast on the window to the glimpses we caught of people inside enjoying said breakfast, I can assure you it was probably real good.

So we headed back home with just enough time to spare before class to cook up breakfast of our own. And that we did. And then it was off to class.

Now Tuesdays are just lovely. I get to hop on a bus, then another one and then a third one - for an hour+ commute to class. It was about 10 minutes into the ride that things got interesting and my mind decided to go nuts.

In fact, I think my experience this morning warrants a self-diagnosis of OCD. Not What About Bob? Bob Wiley-style OCD, just my own personal version. Nonetheless, today it reached a new level. My thoughts went something like this:

I left the stove on. Yes. I know it. I turned off the coffee pot, but I left the stove on.

No biggie. I'll just call my roommates and have them check, right? It would have been a brilliant solution except for the fact that on this particular day, I had left my phone at home. My phone is at home and the stove is on. This is the perfect storm. No phone for me to call them and no phone for them to call me on to tell me that our apartment is going up in flames. Sweet.

Okay, I must have turned it off. No. I do not remember turning the knob. I do not remotely recall 'clicking' it to off. It is most definitely on. I am going to burn down my apartment and my roommates are going to die of smoke inhalation. Did I ever sign up for renter's insurance?

I have to go back home.

So I did.

And guess what?

The stove was ...

off.

For real.

Honestly, can someone invent a switch for my brain to turn off those ridiculous thought? Please tell me you've had these experiences too. If not, I fear I'm two steps closer to becoming Bob Wiley.


5 comments:

Carrie said...

I can almost guarantee that we have all been there at least once or twice.

Kristi said...

Hahaha I love how your mind works, my friend. I simply love it. I would have let the place burn to the ground. :)

Anonymous said...

On my gosh, that is so funny. I'm with ya, girl. I have turned around many a times.. simple things, like, I swear I don't remember closing my car door. Oh no, what If I left may car door open. Seriously? Does anyone ever really leave their car door open? But I always go back. I hate how minds work sometimes. Oh and What about Bob? I love that movie!

Anonymous said...

Oh. my. goodness. So you, Jame. You crack me up! I can't believe you went back, well then again, yes, I absolutely can believe it. Sorry you missed out on free breakfast. Good thought though.

Wow, 2 posts in 2 days!!! Impressive!

Liz said...

Don't worry Jamie! I do this all. the. time. Everyday it is a battle of "did I turn my straightner off?????" "did I lock my front door???" I'm glad to here that I'm not the only one!

PS - I love your blog :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin