Monday, January 12, 2009

Light a candle to find the baby chick.

"This morning, I asked my wife if we could buy some land and have animals."

This was the line - spoken clear out of the blue - that started a 15 minute totally random conversation about farm animals and farm living.

Now, you may assume that the setting of this conversation was a bar or any party with alcoholic beverages. You may assume the participants in this conversation had ingested one too many of those alcoholic beverages ... or were just incredibly bored at the party to have had to start a conversation with such a topic as this. Or, heck, you may just think this was a normal topic of conversation had among people who like farms, while on a farm.

If you assumed any of the above scenarios, you would be mistaken. Because this was a legit conversation had last night among all of the members of my House Church. Yeah, that's right. We're pretty awesome (ahem).

This is basically how the remainder of this scenario played out. Note: At the moment this line was delivered, we were not experiencing an awkward moment of silence or boredom as you may think. We were simply fascinated at the moment by all things farm ...

(Farm line, delivered by Mr. Random, pondered by fellow group members who responded with blank stares and laughter)

"What made you want a farm?"

Mr. Random: "I don't know. I just think it'd be cool. And my wife said she'd be cool with it." It's important to keep in mind that Mrs. Random was in the bathroom at this point and could not defend herself.

"What kind of animals would you want?"

Mr. Random: "Hmm ... Pigs, goats and sheep."

At this moment, Mrs. Random returns and says: "You are not talking about this again, are you?" So much for that 'my wife is cool with it' talk.

"What benefit do goats have anyway?"

"Well, have you every had goat milk? It's pretty good."

"And feta and goat cheese." Simultaneous response from the crowd - "Mmmm."

Yours Truly: "Feta cheese is from goats?"

"Would you be able to butcher your own chickens?"

Mr. Random: "I've seen it done before. They really do run around with their heads cut off." Side note: Blech. I could never watch that.

Expert On Random Facts: "In fact, one chicken even lived two years without its head. And then it died from choking on a piece of grain."

"Mr. Random - When you get your farm, can we hold our House Church there?"

You get the point. The conversation included other related topics including how farmers can tell whether or not eggs had baby chicks inside. Apparently they hold the egg in front of a light or something, but that's not the point. I would absolutely die if I hard-boiled a baby chick. Farmers: thank you for eggs, and for checking them carefully.

If you're wondering, our group actually does have conversations about God, grace and compassion. These little tangents just pop in every once in a while.

And that's why I love these wonderful people who make up our awesome House Church :)

I'll let you know if Mr. & Mrs. Random get their goats and pigs.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

very interesting convo, Jame. Actually, it sounds like a very fun, creative group! I see how you fit in perfectly:)

Carrie said...

I have heard you mention going to church a few times in your posts and I am very curious to know what church you are attending? Jim and I are trying to find a new church and we have no clue where to begin looking and we would love a recommendation.

said...

Just stumbled across your blog. Cute posts..and I love the songs you uploaded!

Jamie said...

Carrie - I'll send you a FB message about my church :)

Welcome Atlanta Bride, and I'm glad you found my blog! I checked out yours and it's great! I worked at a bridal salon for years during high school and college so I love all things wedding :) Congrats to you!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin