Tuesday, January 20, 2009

So that's who buys it!

This past weekend, a few of my friends braved the treacherous roads - er - skating rinks, to visit for a girls weekend. Somehow, someone mentioned the ridicul-osity that is ... The Snuggie.

Now if for some reason you've been hiding under a rock, you may be thinking, "The Snuggie? Who dat?" I don't know whether to tell you you're lucky for never having to witness the commercial, or to tell you you've been missing out on some serious comedic relief.

Instead of explaining what the infamous Snuggie is, I'll just post the actual clip. But before I do, let me just say that my immediate reaction to seeing this infomercial for the first time was to send it into the Ellen DeGeneres show. One of my favorite Ellen segments is when she pokes fun at incredibly brilliant completely unnecessary products such as The Hawaii Chair and The Tiddy Bear (look them up). Well, apparently Ellen and I have the same train of thought when it comes to these things, because ...


Priceless moment = The family at the sporting event. Oh. My.

My second reaction was, "Who would buy that?" I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Problem. Solved.

The answer, my friends, is my good ol' buddy Tiffany.

And when The Snuggie was mentioned in our conversation, she not only admitted to buying one, but she even had it with her. Oh, yes - it was a big day. I saw The Snuggie. I felt The Snuggie. And I can tell you this: It zips, it snaps and it takes about a week to put on.

No offense to any Snuggie fans out there, but I also confirmed what I already knew. The Snuggie serves no functional purpose besides offering me and my friends a few minutes of eruptive laughter at poor Tiffany's expense. I guess I will have to forever bear the torture of having to remove my hand from the warmth of the blanket to sip my tea - as I will not be jumping on the Snuggie bandwagon.

But I suppose it could serve one other purpose, if I heed Ellen's words of wisdom. I could use The Snuggie as a Halloween costume next year, fooling the world as a wizard or a monk.

Edited to add: Upon second ok, tenth viewing of the commercial clip, I have made a couple additional observations: 1. Check out the little girl at the sporting event. Poor thing is literally getting eaten alive by her Snuggie. One size fits all, my butt. And 2. I think I may purchase The Snuggie just for the free booklight. Now that's cool.

6 comments:

Carrie said...

Thank you for the Ellen clip. I love her show!

Anonymous said...

Hilarious, Jame. I can't believe Tiffany has one. I can just picture her sitting on her couch with it on and it makes me laugh. I know someone who's mom gave her a snuggie for Christmas and she has a picture of her wearing it....funniest thing i've ever seen.

Kristi said...

I am seriously DYING here!! I love, love, love that you laugh at that commercial, too. Joe and I are in hysterics every time it comes on. What I find totally amusing is how in 20 or so short seconds they manage to make the blanket look like the most evil, awful invention, ever. It's a BLANKET. :) Miss you, Mary!!

Kelly said...

Love this one. Ellen was hilarious using the snuggie and it's almost too much that Tiffany has one!

E. Sloane Cannon said...

Thanks for following me blog! This post is hilarious, I think everyone is thinking the same thing when it comes to the snuggie. and the Shamwow. and the Smooth Away.

Stephanie said...

Snuggies are FAB!

I love mine. I am not ashamed to admit it :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin