Monday, February 23, 2009

Potential disaster.

I know I've mentioned this before, but I'm not sure in which post ... I am currently jobless.

My too good to be true, part-time, work from home job just couldn't last, especially in this economy. And since I'm not 'allowed' to have a job during my 12 month nursing program, I haven't had much luck trying to get someone to hire me for just the next three months. Go figure.

Sooo, I have decided to go back in time and resort to good ol' fashioned ... babysitting. Hey - it works.

Because of this, I've spent a lot of my time this past week jetting around the area meeting families in need of someone to dote on and care for their kiddos. (BTW, incredibly adorable and well-behaved children do still exist in this world. Good to know.)

Today's visit was to a house perched on a hill, which can only mean one thing - a very steep driveway.

As I was parking my car in said driveway, I thought to myself, 'Self, this would probably be a situation where the parking brake would be handy.' Now, as we all know, I tend to play these situations on the safe side. Not this time.

I put the car in park, got out and no sooner had I started walking up to the door, I heard my car start rolling backwards. For real.

By the pure grace of God, it stopped long enough for me to get back in and move it to a safer - and flatter - parking spot.

Can you imagine the impression I would have given if my car would have rolled out of control out of the driveway?! I doubt I would have gotten the job.

Lesson learned: Parking brakes do in fact serve a purpose. When in doubt, use them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You scared me!!!! I can't believe that happened. Only to you Jame. I can just see you putting the parking break on every time you park anywhere now, just in case :)

Kristi said...

Don't forget to un-parking brake your car, though! :) Maybe you should never move to San Francisco?

In other news, I've nominated you for a blogtastic award. Check out my blog for deets.

xo.
me

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin