Thankful.
That is what I am today. Actually, it's what I am a lot of the time but I don't express those words nearly enough. In a world where most of the stories thrown at us are about heartache, injustice and tragedy, I've learned how important it is to sit back and actually acknowledge the blessings - the goodness - that really do exist.
Heartache and tragedy. This morning, I was told that a girl in one of my classes suddenly passed away this weekend. 21 years old. No clear sign of what happened. Just gone. She had one semester of nursing school left.
Sure, her face is familiar - but I never met her or talked to her. But I'm sure SHE was a blessing, and there's no doubt she's a blessing that will be missed.
It's this kind of news that reminds you that each day is a blessing. Each moment is priceless. Each person we meet is a gift who can teach us something about our lives and help us live a little better - if we let them.
It's only with the realization that life is short that we can fully grasp what a gift this life is. This realization makes the boring, exciting. It makes the ugly, beautiful. It turns the anger into laughter and the uncertainty into trust.
And it's moments like this that you become overwhelmed by the people God has placed in your path to shape your life.
At my House Church on Sunday night, we were talking about those people - the ones in our lives that have made the difference. Sooooo, to the following people and so many more, I am thankful - so thankful - for you. (Warning: I'm not promising this won't be sappy. Sorry about that.)
- I'm thankful to you, mom and dad, for putting up with me (seriously, I've seen the home videos and heard the stories - what a chore!) :) I couldn't think, or feel, a better example of unconditional love than what you show me. Every single lesson and value you taught me, I can only hope to instill in my children one day ... except of course for the Clean Plate Club rule.
- My sister. It's in your presence that I feel fully safe, un-judged (is that a word?) and a to-the-moon-kind of happy. Thank you for listening to every word I have to say - willingly. And that's usually a LOT of words. I know I'll never experience another relationship like the one you and I share and I love you ... more than you'll ever know. (Ah, yes. Thanks for giving me an awesome brother and two adorable nephews too!)
- The faith and strength of my grandparents - not to mention the activity level and smiles that never EVER leave their faces - inspire me to no end. And for them, I am thankful.
- My friends (you know who you are) make me incredibly thankful. Each of you adds something different to my life. You are my support group and provide laughter, fun, randomness and excitement to life.
- Honduras Tiffany - my prayer partner :) Honestly, if I could live my life a portion as faithfully as you live yours ... well, it would just be amazing. You inspire me and I'm blessed by your prayers and example.
Ooooh, there's more. But this is getting excessive for one post. If you made it to this point, I'm impressed. Sorry this got so long, but it's something I just needed to do. I AM thankful for each one of you who actually reads this blog!
That is what I am today. Actually, it's what I am a lot of the time but I don't express those words nearly enough. In a world where most of the stories thrown at us are about heartache, injustice and tragedy, I've learned how important it is to sit back and actually acknowledge the blessings - the goodness - that really do exist.
Heartache and tragedy. This morning, I was told that a girl in one of my classes suddenly passed away this weekend. 21 years old. No clear sign of what happened. Just gone. She had one semester of nursing school left.
Sure, her face is familiar - but I never met her or talked to her. But I'm sure SHE was a blessing, and there's no doubt she's a blessing that will be missed.
It's this kind of news that reminds you that each day is a blessing. Each moment is priceless. Each person we meet is a gift who can teach us something about our lives and help us live a little better - if we let them.
It's only with the realization that life is short that we can fully grasp what a gift this life is. This realization makes the boring, exciting. It makes the ugly, beautiful. It turns the anger into laughter and the uncertainty into trust.
And it's moments like this that you become overwhelmed by the people God has placed in your path to shape your life.
At my House Church on Sunday night, we were talking about those people - the ones in our lives that have made the difference. Sooooo, to the following people and so many more, I am thankful - so thankful - for you. (Warning: I'm not promising this won't be sappy. Sorry about that.)
- I'm thankful to you, mom and dad, for putting up with me (seriously, I've seen the home videos and heard the stories - what a chore!) :) I couldn't think, or feel, a better example of unconditional love than what you show me. Every single lesson and value you taught me, I can only hope to instill in my children one day ... except of course for the Clean Plate Club rule.
- My sister. It's in your presence that I feel fully safe, un-judged (is that a word?) and a to-the-moon-kind of happy. Thank you for listening to every word I have to say - willingly. And that's usually a LOT of words. I know I'll never experience another relationship like the one you and I share and I love you ... more than you'll ever know. (Ah, yes. Thanks for giving me an awesome brother and two adorable nephews too!)
- The faith and strength of my grandparents - not to mention the activity level and smiles that never EVER leave their faces - inspire me to no end. And for them, I am thankful.
- My friends (you know who you are) make me incredibly thankful. Each of you adds something different to my life. You are my support group and provide laughter, fun, randomness and excitement to life.
- Honduras Tiffany - my prayer partner :) Honestly, if I could live my life a portion as faithfully as you live yours ... well, it would just be amazing. You inspire me and I'm blessed by your prayers and example.
Ooooh, there's more. But this is getting excessive for one post. If you made it to this point, I'm impressed. Sorry this got so long, but it's something I just needed to do. I AM thankful for each one of you who actually reads this blog!
Remember ... "Life is but a breath, so we better breathe it."
- Brooke Fraser
Laugh. Don't hold grudges. Love. Inspire. Be kind. Value each person. Have fun. LIVE.
Laugh. Don't hold grudges. Love. Inspire. Be kind. Value each person. Have fun. LIVE.
4 comments:
Ok now I'm missing you even more! Beautiful post! Love you much!
What a beautiful post!! and I love the ending quotes!
Since the age of 17, four guys I grew up with have passed away- 3 of them in Iraq. I'm about to turn 26 and sometimes it bothers me a lot to realize that one of them never got to see his 18th birthday and the others never had a chance to see their 25th. It really does make you take a step back and look at your life. No matter how awful things appear, it should be amazing enough that you are able to be here today. What a gift. As thankful as you are to your friends and family, I'm sure they are just as thankful to have you in their lives, as well. God Bless
Awwwww.....I LOVE your blog! What a great thing to do! You're SO creative! Just a beautiful post! Best of luck starting nursing school!! I'm SO sorry about your classmate passing, so terrible. It is sad that those are the things that remind us what we have....but, it's true. XOX
Post a Comment