Tuesday, April 7, 2009

I know how you feel.

Drops Like Stars.

My pastor just kicked off a worldwide speaking tour for the next year or so and this is what he has named said tour. If you were to see this title, could you guess what the topic would be? Me neither.

But you have to admit it gets your attention for that very reason. I think that was his point. Needless to say, I was intrigued to find out what this would be all about. On Sunday night, the mystery was solved.

For 2.5 hours that seemed like maybe 30 minutes Rob Bell talked about suffering and it's inevitable role in each one of our lives. What I learned that night serves as inspiration for this post.

We all have them ... hard times, the unexpected bump in the road and the 'why me' moments. I think it's safe to say that we never necessarily welcome these moments with open arms and a big hoorah. But what would happen if - once suffering knocks on our door - we embraced it and strived to uncover the good that is hidden deep inside these moments?

It's hard, that's for sure. But from experiences I've had and lives I've witnessed, I am convinced that moments of suffering are blessings that unfortunately, can go unnoticed if we spend too much time getting angry or if we try to conceal our hurt and emotions.

I think God uses hard times to refine us, to strengthen us, to shape us into who He wants us to be. Our job is to let Him do just that.

"When people talk about things that have shaped their lives, it's often about times they have suffered." - Rob Bell

It's true, isn't it? It's the hard chapters of life that make us stronger to face the next chapter. It's the tears that make the laughter that follows that much sweeter.

Suffering comes in all shapes and sizes. Some people can't seem to escape it while others only face it once in a while. But the hurt that comes with it always, hurts. And no matter how big or small the suffering is, it's our reaction to it that makes the difference.

Do we talk about it? Do we hide it and just move on? Who do we share it with?

"There is something divine in knowing that you are not alone."

The people who have inspired me the most also seem to be the ones who have experienced some of the biggest bumps in the road and have had positive life change because of how they reacted to these moments. But most importantly, they have poured themselves out about what they have gone through. They each were given a story to tell and they told it.

I am amazed by these people. They have shared their story of depression and in turn have provided a listening and sympathetic ear for others who struggle in the same way. They have shared their story of addicition and have embraced their responsibility to help others by teaching recovery classes and offering hope. They have shared their story of rape and in turn have inspired strength, faith and triumph in young women.

The words 'I know how you feel' hold a lot of power.

We weren't meant to face these situations alone. God gives us these moments along with the responsibility to share them, not hide them. The greatest comfort in the hard times is knowing that someone else has been there too. Someone else knows how you feel. Someone else has seen the light at the end of the tunnel even though you may be just entering the darkness.

We ALL have a story - some may seem bigger than others, but each one of them is equally important. Share yours. You never know who might be listening.

If you want to know the meaning behind the whole Drops Like Stars thing, you'll have to check out Rob's tour. It's coming to a city near you :)

8 comments:

Gina said...

Good post. Something I always need to hear, especially after a day like today.

jlc said...

Good lessons learned. I totally believe that.


The two biggest things that have defined me were hard times : my parent's divorce and my hubby leaving for war.

Without those times, I wouldn't be the person I am today.

D said...

Great post, I often wonder how I would have turned out had I made different choices.

And I gotta say, after I was done reading your post, I just minimized your blog so I could keep listening to your wonderful playlist! And I turned the volume all the way up when it got to Miley :)

♥ H ♥ said...

Wow! Amen Sister. Great post. I know my lowest of lows are the reason I am the person today! And to be honest, I wouldn't change a thing about the path I have taken. I haven't made the best decisions but they made me stronger and for that I am thankful :) Thanks for sharing this!!

OH and thanks for the comment...we are our own worst critic so I don't see what yall see but I appreciate the kind words
XOXO

Christina said...

I read this post and was "Wow! So True!"

Great post! I believe the same. I've been through things in my life, that I never thought I would have to deal with, and I survived! I truly believe that God never gives you more than you can handle. The fact that our lives are planned before we are even born gives me the peace and hope that I need, when things get tough.

Nessa said...

i LOVED this post, its so inspiring! Thank you!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Jame.....definitely needed this today!

Meredith said...

I stumbled across your blog today, and just wanted to thank you for this post--it's a great encouragement!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin