On our way home from the bar, Darb, her husband Kevin and I decided we just had to stop to get some late night, post-bar food. This is typical. So we hit up a super-swanky, gourmet (<--total lie) restaurant known as Ram's Horn. (BTW, I think these places are just the best after a night out. Nothing beats a restaurant that serves everything from breakfast to dinner all day, every day.) This was our experience:Hostess: "Hi. 3?"
Me: "Yes."
Hostess: "Smoking or non-smoking?"
Me: "Non, please."
Just as Darb and Kevin had warned me, we were seated in the 'non-smoking' section, separated from the smoking section by ... well, nothing. Translation: There is no such thing as a non-smoking section at Ram's Horn.
Menus now in hand, we started to go through our options for greasy, delicious food. Let me tell you, there were some incredibly interesting items on the menu, including but not limited to the following:
- Sandwiches featuring 'melted brick cheese'
- Liver & Onions. When is this a good option? Personally, I'd say never. But especially not here.
- Fish & Chips: Two pieces of choice fish fillet and golden fries. It's usually not a good sign when they don't mention what kind of fish it is.
While all of these options looked mouth-watering scrumptious, it was a meal under the salad - yes, salad - section that caught my eye and had us rolling in laughter for a good five minutes. Here is the description:
Low Calorie Platter: Sauteed turkey burger patty with cottage cheese, peaches and pineapples, cherry for garnish and special crackers.
Just keep in mind, this was under the salad section. What?! Basically the strangest combination of any low-calorie food item they could find is featured in this dish. Plus a cherry. But the yet unsolved question remains: What are 'special crackers?'
Their name alone begged several additional questions: What exactly makes them special? Are they safe to eat? Is it legal to drive home after consuming said crackers?
Looking back, I really really wish I would have ordered this meal just to see it in person. Instead, I ordered a chicken pita, complete with the infamous 'brick cheese.' And low and behold, it was quite tasty. I love these places! I will so be going back in the future if only to solve the special cracker mystery.
Unfortunately, my body hated me this morning and I fully blame Ram's Horn. It's just a price you pay.
After leaving Darb's house, I was off to meet up with Kristi (aka, former coworker and friend for life) for lunch. We also successfully pulled off surprising one of my other former coworkers who did not know I would be joining them for lunch. It was good times with good food and even better company.
All in all, it was well worth the trip. :)
4 comments:
I love those last minute trips! Always makes for an interesting time! Glad you had fun :)
Yay for random road trips! That meal definitely sounds sketchy but holes in the wall usually do have the best food!
In related news, the Ram's Horn in Rochester is entirely smoke-free. We go there a few times a month after church for a hard core breakfast. (Note: try their milkshakes next time...much deliciousness).
AND AND AND - Rog dropped his business card in the "win a free lunch for your office" at Chippy yesterday and HE TOTALLY WON! We got 10 free lunches - complete with chips and drinks - for today. Yum yum!
Too funny.....I am very curious about the special crackers. I wish you would have ordered that to find out. I'm surprised you didn't ask the waitress! HA!
Post a Comment