Friday, May 1, 2009

Tulip Festival-ing.

As referenced in this post, my hometown is borderline obsessed totally crazy about festivals. Case in point - if I'm not mistaken, I believe there is now even a loggers' festival. As in a festival for loggers, who climb really fast up trees and can saw through a massive tree trunk in a matter of seconds.

Weeeellll. It seems that I must subconsciously gravitate to places very familiar, seeing as how the festival I went to last night in my new home was eerily similar to much of what I've experienced in hometown. Which is fiiine.

This particular festival celebrates ... tulips. Yep. That's right.

I've actually been to this festival before, but it's been a while. My parents lived in this city right after they got married so they would somewhat frequently take us there to visit when my sister and I were growing up.

Anyway, roomie Sarah and I decided to be tourists in our own home and hit up the festival. We arrived just in time to see hundreds (maybe not quite, but close) of ladies dressed in dutch costumes encircling an entire block doing dutch dancing in wooden shoes. Very unique, but I'm a firm believer that it's always good to embrace new things in life. So I loved it.

We grabbed dinner before heading out to watch the fireworks. After trying unsuccessfully to find a parking spot, we gave up and caught most of the fireworks from my car. SPEAKING OF 'MY' CAR ...

... remember when I talked about the possibility of me having to drive the lovely and super sexy Subaru Baja? Well, the possibility is now a reality. I've been rolling around town in that beast for a couple of weeks now and will continue this trend for the next month or so. Long story short, it's my dad's car, generously on loan to me until the lease on my car is up so that I don't go over my allowable miles any more than I already have. The reason for going so far over my miles? Don't worry about it. It's a whole other long story that I won't bore you with.

Moving on.

So as we were firework watching, we had the windows down and overheard a comment that absolutely. made. my. day.

Random lady: "Now that is a butt ugly car."
Random lady's friend: "You got that right."

YES! I love it! To Random Lady, I say ... Bring. It. On.

I know I am driving one of the strangest looking cars ever made. It's confused as to whether or not it wants to be a car, pick-up truck or SUV. I 100% agree with your comment, yet I'm completely and totally cool with my current mode of transportation.

I embrace it. And most of all, I think it's hilarious. I laugh pretty much every time I get in the car.

And I am thrilled that we had our windows down so that we could witness your awesome comment.

Truth be told, the Baja is actually starting to grow on me. Just sayin.

Fun night. Have a great weekend!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh no she didn't talk about the Baja that way.....haha! Too funny:) Just think of all the great stories you are going to have all thanks to the Baja!!

Nessa said...

Lol, i think i would laugh too every time i got into that car, bu i would prob. totally grow on me too! lol

Anonymous said...

I know I'm a dork, but I LOVE festivals! There should be a festivel every day of the year. haha

Micah said...

what did you dad nickname that car again?

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin