Thursday, June 4, 2009

Am I still alive? Seriously. Am I?

It's all catching up to me. I'm exhausted. I've lost my mind.

Here's why:

Monday's class schedule = 8:30a-5p

Tuesday = 11a-3p ... Now, four hour class - torture, you say? Not even close. Torture entered the picture on Wednesday.

Wednesday = 8:30a-9 flipping o'clock pm.

That is ELEVEN hours in class and on top of that, the day started off with a pharmacology exam. I predicted on Tuesday night that on Wednesday I would more or less 'break the seal,' aka cry for the first time since the nursing program started. Shockingly, I did not and the seal is still in tact. Thank God, because I fear once I break it, it's all over. Nonetheless, it was not the best day of my life.

Moving on ...

Classes today started bright and early at 8am and I finally got to leave the building at 3pm.

Since our class schedule changes pretty much every week, I've given up on trying to know where I need to be when. Each day ends with me asking one of my classmates where I need to be the next day and when. It makes me feel a little better that most of the time, they don't know either.

The delirium officially kicked in tonight. I made a trip to the mall for the sole purpose of checking out a place that could alter my bridesmaid dress for Amy's wedding. I wanted to see it before scheduling the appointment to prevent any disasters. I arrived at the mall, walked around browsing in stores and tried on clothes I couldn't buy.

I left the mall. About two minutes from home, I realized I completely forgot to visit the alteration place. Nice work, self.

On top of that, when I was leaving the mall, I walked out into the parking lot to the location where I parked my car. You all recall that I'm currently driving a Subaru Baja ... it goes without saying that it's hard to miss. Wellll, I couldn't find it. Anywhere. I became convinced that it was stolen.

But, you know what? In my exhausted state of mind, the thought that my car had been stolen didn't even phase me. I just stood there frozen in the parking lot. No panic. Nada. Dazed and confused.

Fortunately, some semblance of sanity returned for just long enough for me to realize that I parked on the opposite side of the mall.

Unfortunately, I have two full days of classes left before I get a one day break before starting this all over again next week.

Now you would think, considering all of this, I would be stressed out and dying inside. But, somehow, I'm loving life right now. True, I don't have one. But I'm happy, very happy. And for that, I thank God for sustaining me ... I know I couldn't do this without that.

It also doesn't hurt that I happen to be in this program with incredibly fun people. Our class has bonded and we really do have tons of fun laughing at each other and with each other. We are a crazy group. There's no denying it.

For example: Since our schedule changes so much, we are constantly rotating professors. And each time we get a new instructor, we have to do the good 'ol introductions ... 'Tell me your name and one interesting thing about yourself.' After going through this a gazillion times, we decided to switch it up a bit on Wednesday night and introduce each other. Now, remember - this took place after sitting in class for at least nine hours. That explains why it took us an hour to get through introductions b/c we were laughing so hard.

I'll leave you a sampling of the interesting 'facts' that were unveiled on Wednesday: (And remember, we could be your nurse someday.)

  • 'I won a peanut butter eating contest.'
  • 'I peed my pants in 1st grade and had to get a new pair of underwear from the school nurse.'
  • 'I decided to go to nursing school because I can finally say my favorite word whenever i want. This is a safe zone for using such language.' (I can't necessarily disclose this word, but it's a body part. I'll leave it at that.)
  • 'I was a champion face maker.' As in, she makes funny faces ... competes ... and wins contests.
  • 'My boyfriend recently told me he wants to be a farmer. And I think his tractor's sexy.'

And that, my friends, is how we all survive this insanity.

4 comments:

♥ H ♥ said...

Aww it actually sounds like you are enjoying this crazy schedule!! and haha about your car! I was leaving school once and had been there since 8am (it was 8pm) and I walked to the parking lot, where at this time not many cars where left, and did not see my car what so ever. I was like, oh great, it's gone. No panic, just like..cool my car got stolen. After sitting for about 5min trying to make sure I didn't walk past it, I realized I parked in another lot that day. Cool feeling!!!

Nessa said...

This is so funny! And it sounds like God truly IS with you!! Xoxo. =)

Gina said...

I remember feeling the same way when I was getting my master's. The good news...you are definitely in the right field! There's nothing like having passion for your job.

Anonymous said...

Aw, Jame, that schedule is brutal, but I'm so glad that you are happy and able to laugh and have fun! You're building such great friendships and memories!

You will be a GREAT nurse! And remember, it's only ONE year!!!!! Yay!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin