Monday, June 1, 2009

This calls for a celebration.

The quick and dirty of my weekend: Busy. Celebratory. (I don't like that word. I just decided. But it works.) Fun.

I could stop there, but I don't tell short stories. Shocker.

My alarm was set on Saturday for 5 am. Not by choice, but by obligation. I had an 'exam' at 8:00. The drill for this exam: Over the course of this particular class, we learned 12 segments of a head-to-toe physical assessment. We had to memorize all of them, and then on Saturday, we had to play the role of nurse, blindly draw one of the 12 segments and perform that assessment on one of our classmates.

The only information that's important here is that I passed. Which means that in four weeks, my first nursing class is complete. DONE. FINISHED. Very. Exciting. News.

This called for celebration and what better way to do that than to spend the day with friends. And that I did. As I have previously mentioned, I am standing up in my lifelong friend, Amy's wedding this summer. And on Saturday, we threw her a bridal shower and her bachelorette party.

Such a fun day. Amy does not have a mean bone in her body. She is a loyal friend. Sweet as can be. These are things that I've always known, but they were amplified on Saturday. Amy doesn't ever expect to be pampered so it made it even more fun to throw her a celebration that she deserved ... celebrating not only her upcoming marriage - but her, and the amazing person that she is.


And let me tell you, it was the funniest thing watching her have to open lingerie and panties in front of the group, which included her mom and her future mother-in-law. I think she was mortified. Haha. But, isn't that what Bachelorette parties are for? ;)

After humiliating her, we went to an outdoor bar overlooking a lake. It was so much fun.


Now ... Amy is a teacher. And some of her coworkers were at the bar with us. Out of nowhere, they started talking about how they wanted to set me up with one of their coworkers. Let me tell you: teachers are persistent - and determined.

Side note: I refuse to blog in any depth about my 'dating' life ... some things need to stay private. Consider this a bonus only b/c it's funny.


It wasn't but a few minutes after they had this 'revelation' that they were on the phone with this mystery guy. And shortly thereafter, the phone was being handed to me.

'He wants to talk to you.'

So here I am, chatting via phone with mystery guy in front of the entire bachelorette party crew. Awkward, yes. Funny, very. (And yes, he was very nice. Since I know that question is bound to come up in the comments.)

After assuring him we had embarrassed Amy on her special night, I handed the phone back to the pair of matchmaking teachers. They proceeded to yell at him for inviting a date to Amy's wedding ... something about how it basically was throwing a wrench into their matchmaker plans. After the phone scenario, they tried to convince me to go with them to meet up with him at the bar he was at ... about 40 minutes away. I put my foot down. Besides, it was totally Amy's night and they accepted that argument as to why I would not go. Our meeting will inevitably happen at the wedding, so we'll see. Too funny, let me tell you.

The weekend ended with a visit from my parents and cousin ... it was so great to spend time with them since school pretty much keeps me away from visiting them much. We had a great day.

Today, it was back to school to start a whole new set of classes. And, people ... on the agenda for Friday's class? Injections. Which not only means I have to stick my classmates with needles - that action will be reciprocated on me. I can't contain my excitement.

There's no escaping it now. Lord, save us all. And, if you want to donate your arm or your tush for that matter to help me practice, I'm taking volunteers.

Oh ... and last but certainly not least. While we're on the topic of weddings, a big CONGRATULATIONS is in order for the gorgeous Kelli and handsome Dave, who were engaged last weekend! Much love to both of you :)

3 comments:

Gina said...

Oh, the matchmaking days. I miss them and don't miss them all at the same time. I know you don't blog about your dating life, but please keep us updated on this one!

♥ H ♥ said...

Cute pictures!! Looks like you had a great time!!! LOL about the guy! How awkward!

Anonymous said...

What a cute blog! I would have been terrified to talk to a stranger in front of everyone? you handle it very well. Maybe he'll turn out to be your true love, we'll he better be for that kind of embarrasement. Ha Ha!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin